Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/20/2016

my pud wants me to upgrade the electrical meter base to stainless steel due to coastal corrosive weather.What $

Must replace damaged meter base on residence.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sounds like maybe you are in an Island county in Washington ? Some of the PUDs in that area are requiring stainless now - though not commonly for residential - usually for 400A or higher services.

Anyway, the meter bases, depending on the your PUD requires, commonly run from $40-100 for cheapo meter-base-only asian junk to $100-300 with better construction and a disconnect and/or main breaker shutoff as well, which many area electrical code amendments now require to be at the meter rather than as part of the breaker box. A good idea that - having the main breaker at the panel does you no good if you are trying to turn off the power because of a short or arcing in the panel or because the incoming feed from the meter is what is going bad. Meter-base main breaker or at least disconnect location is heading towards international standard probably in next electrical code revision.

Stainless adds about $50-100 to the materials cost for a residential sized box. Swapout cost including base typically about $300-500 by an electrician - plus anything the utility charges for a disconnection and reconnect if they have to disconnect at their point-of-service (commonly an exposed splice at the weatherhead or at the transformer, which can commonly run another $100-300 for both combined. Be sure if getting bids to have the electrician include EVERYTHING needed for the replacement, passing PUD inspection, and deenergization/reenergization in his bid. This can make a substantial difference, because for instance some utilities allow Master Electrician to disconnect and reconnect the service wires, whereas Journeyman may have to call the utility to do that.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy