Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/16/2013

need a Dr to manage my anxiety as I am new to the area

I have been on alprazolame for 20 + years for dibilatating anxiety, so said the United States goverment , socila security administration in 1997 but had been on the med for at least 7 years prior to that.
I moved to Cincinnati 8 years ago. I kept my primary care physcian who I had seen all of my adult life. He had been traeting my anxiety for 20 + years. The problem is he is 2 hours north of here, not a problem for a healthy person. I got very sick in Oct of last year and was left in a bad position because I had no PCP here. I had to be treated aggressivly, so I had to rely on Dr.s I had never seen before.Because I was so sick My pcp and I both agreed that it was time to find someone closer to home, as he was retiring soon anyway. I had a three mo. supply of alprazolam prescibed dose 1 mg 3 times Prn. I never have never In the 20+ years taken more than that I usually take less. Its the only reason that I still have enough for about another week or so , ive been taking .5 not even 3 times a day or less just enough not to have what my new pcp said was gping to be very bad withdrawl... I Not only took alprazolam for anxiety but terrible nuropaty. It is disabilling all by its self. My god.It hurts. I cannot find a dr to manage my medication. Since the new health care laws its like a withch hunt. Everyone who takes alprazolam is auto matically a pill popping dr shopping drug addict. Not addicted to just alpraz but must be a drunk and junkie too. Its like a witch hunt. They want to expose "them all' get them off the medication then what? guess .... I have not heard anyrhing about . Then what- obviosly the medication is prescribed for a reason... I have reasons! I can't understand how a dr. can stand by and say, "your withdrawls are going to be bad" or "if it gets too bad go the ER.
Heres my take on the medication. It helps me i can participate in life and also I am not in soo much pain that I Can't participate. I am 51 years old probabaly have been on the medication all most half my life With my fam history ex:3rd sister diagnosed with breast cancer.I don't have more than 15 or so years to live
I'm not hurting anyone, in fact it is hurting the people who love me because to watch me disintgrate.. The pain has gotten so bad I can hardly walk or move. What good is the quainty of life if you don;t have the quaility? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Finding a primary care physician can seem daunting, but with some research and asking the right questions, you should be able to find someone who understands your condition and your needs. Be sure to rely on member reviews and ratings of Cincinnati-area doctors.

If you need any help accessing the List, just contact our Member Services team atmemberservices@angieslist.comor 1-888-944-LIST (5478). You can alsoLive Chatwith us.


Answered 7 years ago by HughV


You need to get a referral from your original doctor in Cincinnati for a pain management doctor or center in your area. If he does not know of one, then ask him which hospital in your area he thinks is best, and contact them - all large hospitals have a pain management doctor or manager on staff, and should be able to give you a list of practiciing pain manasgement doctors in your new area, without having to check into the hospital.

Also, if you are on Medicare or Civil Service disability then the servicing organization for them should have a list of referring pain management doctors in your area.

Also - if you are an honorably discharged veteran, you should be able to get that service at low or zero cost (depending on whether your disability was service connected) at your local VA Medical Center / Hospital.

You could also Google using the following search string - "locate pain management center near city, state" filling in your city and state where I have "city, state"

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy