Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/15/2017

need a handyman to instal curtains rod with drill

the wall is concrete so will need a drill - four screw to go into wall

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Handymen is the Search the List category for this.

Here is a previous question with responses on this, including how to DIY - though I should mention you will need a metal finder (metal stud finder) to be sure you are not drilling into the rebar in the wall - commonly at about 3-6 inches on center or in a grid, so not hard to miss - just jog up or down or sideways a quarter inch or so usually if your initial point happens to lie over rebar. Of course, you need to check both ends before starting to drill, because one end might be OK but the other over rebar.

If a normal curtain rod the lighter duty anchors (the replacement link I gave) generally do fine for curtains/drapes to 4-5 feet wide, or normal weight curtains to about 6-7 feet wide. If the screws they provided with the rod are larger than about #8 or are lag bolts rather than screws, then you may need to use a lead insert anchor - the last type linked in my original response above. That would be used for more than about 4-5 foot wide window treatments of heavy tapestry material drapes, some double-thickness insulated drapes, blackout curtains or drapes, or curtain rods supporting both heavy drapes or curtains and a second layer curtain or sheer.

Of course the anchor size needs to match the screw to be put into it - the screw has to cut well into the anchor to hold, and of course that determines the anchor diameter, which then determines what size drillbit is needed to drill the hole.

Obviously, if getting a handyman to do the job, if you are able to go get the right type and size of anchor (probably 3/4-1 inch long for all but extremely heavy window treatments) so they are ready to go, will reduce the handyman cost in running for parts, because these are not something the handyman would normally carry with him except in the light-duty types. ALso, get a couple of extras - common to damage one or two in installing them, because they are hammered into the hole in the wall.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy