Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/3/2017

purchased as new stovetop, need someone to install the downdraft ventilation fan. 95677

The stove top is already installed; however the fan is not hooked up to the vent.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Evidently you have a ducted (versus just recirculation though filters) unit - which will work better than the recirculation type.

Heating and A/C is the Search the List category to find a contractor to do the hookup and any ducting modifications needed to handle it - because ducted downdraft fans commonly need larger exhaust ducting and/or roof/wall hood than overhead fan units because they tyhpically have 2-10 times as much airflow through them, and ANY restrictions on that airflow shows up as dramatically reduced effectiveness of the downdraft system.

May seem odd for a Heating and A/C contractor to do this, but the contractor group is actually generally called HVAC - Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning - and this is a form of Ventilating, and that is the contractor category who has the tools and materials to do this.

A recommendation - if you have space available, go with rigid metal ducting if at all possible (including possibly changing out existing ducting leading to the exit point if flex duct now), because flex ducts not only builds up lint and grease worse, it also has MUCH higher friction than rigid duct, and with downdraft systems you need every bit of airflow you can get out of them because unless quite high airflow like 1200 cfm or higher (which then makes them noisy) they are the least effective methods of trapping and evacuating kitchen vapor/odors.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is James in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated service providers to assist with that installation, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy