Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/12/2016

repair porch column

porch column about to fall down

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are some similar previous questions with answers which might help -

Type of vendor to handle this - if steel column then likely a Deck and Porch contractor or General Contractor, or if light-duty like just a small (less than say 6 inch) pipe column then a Carpenter - Framing. If solid stone or concrete - a specialty (not an AL category) stone edifice and column contractor. If brick/masonry/mortared stone a Masonry contractor for repair only, if needs total rebuild then probably a General Contractor to handle the temporary support while his masonry or concrete sub does the rebuild job. If wood or fake column (built-up wood,, resin, fiberglass, etc) probably a Carpenter - Framing if relatively light roof load which will be easy to support, like a porch shed roof or such. If heavy roof load, General Contractor.

For all these types except the solid concrete or stone, also a Deck and Porch contractor could usually handle it - and if you are not sure start there, if he can't handle the actual column repair he can do any needed foundation and roof repair and the temporary shoring and get a specialty sub to do the column itself.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy