Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/16/2016

should a replacement undermount sink be installed to granite by a plumber or a granite installer?

There is an existing composite sink, and the installation has failed, leaving a gap between the counter and the undermount sink. I would like to replace the sink with stainless, also the faucet and possibly the disposer. Not sure why the existing install has failed, so I feel I will need an extra-competent installer.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Most likely failed because it was jsut glued on with epoxy (or sometimes just silicone caulk - NOT at ALL what that is designed for - a common cause of failure. The mounting mechanisms for undermount sinks are typically the pits - not thought out or strong enough considering the weight of a loaded sink full of water and dishes, plus commonly carrying the weight of a garbage disposal as well.

I always recommend embedded anchor bolts and metal brackets if countertop is thick enough (generally about 3/4" or more) with the caulk or epoxy between sink and countertop just being counted on for providing the waterproof seal between sink and countertop. Otherwise, mounting treated wood support pieces (typically 2x3 or 2x4) across the underside of the countertop or across the cabinet to screw mounting brackets into, or with some flimsy or very large double or triple sinks to directly support it from the underside, though that can make plumbing a bit more of a hassle but sometimes better than none at all. This type of direct under-support can be especially needed with thin porcelain or the new colored or fused glass sinks and true stone sinks like marble or soapstone, though why anyone would buy a glass sink is beyond me - talk about an invitation to failure when mugs or frying pans or such get dropped into it.

I would definitely go with a Countertop specialist (your Search the List category)- who will sometimes but not always also reconnect the plumbing underneath. Since you are talking replacing faucet and disposal replacement they may say get a Plumber in for that once the sink is mounted - or get a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath contractor to handle it all, though a bit of overkill for this size job probably.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy