Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/21/2016

standing water below water pipes in front yard

front side of house below water pipes there is a rectangular box. I do not know what to call the box. There was standing water via phone call from a friend i turned the valve of to front yard drip lines. If i could get someone to come to my home today to repair this? Any suggestions?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


The box is undoubtedly a shutoff box or meter box.

If shutting off the irrigation system stopped the water and let it drain away, then either the watering system was on too long or has a leak. If there is water coming out of the box with irrigation system off, then probably a water leak.

Generally speaking - but would have to call utility to make sure - if the leak is on the utility side of the meter or the shutoff valve just before the meter, then generally their responsibility to fix it. However, sometimes the demarcation between "their" responsibility and yours is a shutoff valve at the sidewalk or curb and you are responsible for everything on your side of that. If on your side, your responsibility so you would need to Search the List for a Plumber with good ratings and reviews. If not clear because under water, if not much water in the area I would try the utility first and see if they will fix it for free. You may be able to bail it out (if a slow leak) and see where the leak is coming from - incoming pipe, valve, meter, or outgoing pipe.

Otherwise, contact a plumber - most have 24 hour service, but on weekend you will pay 50-100% premium for the work.

If just an irrigation system problem (so stopped when you turned its valve off) then wait till a weekday and call a Landscaping or specialty irrigation system company that maintains watering systems.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy