Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/15/2016

there is a plastic cover over the entire hole where the valve stem is located. How do I remove it?

This plastic cover hole the cover plate on. I think I need to remove it to excess the clip that hole the valve stem on.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Assuming you mean a cone or inverted dish shaped housing or cover (also called an escutcheon) which coers the hole through the tile or surround which the valve stem passes through, unless the quite rare type which is split, you have to remove the faucet handle first. Looks typically like these - (totally split type first, then type where you move two sides forward/back relative to each other to unhook, as described below, then cone and plate types, which may just pull off, or have a couple of small mounting screws)

1) if the split type, there are two basic common types. One type is spring-loaded or spring-tabbed so you pry the two halves apart (away from each other at the split) - some are hinged on one side, others have fastener latches or tabs on both sides. Other, more common type probably, you pry the two edges apart at the split, front to back (only one direction works) to disengage a lip or hooked edge which holds them together. Neither should take much force to separate the fastening.

2) other common type is just a sleeved-on coer, with or without mounting screws or may have a screw-down nut on the vavle stem that holds the cover tight to the wall.

3) normally, with any of above sleeved or cone types, the handle comes off, then the housing cover or escutcheon comes off. On tub/shower fixtures usually pulls straight off (will have to cut any caulk seal around the edges first)- some kitchen and basin and a few tub/shower covers unscrew counterclockwise on an over-stem sleeve or bushing - again need to razor blade cut any caulk that has been put on around the base of the cover.

To remove faucet handle, several common attachment methods - put washrag or towel over drain area to catch screw or spline and to prevent dinging finish if you drop the handle - several common attachment methods :

1) pop-off decorative or brandname plastic ormetal cap in center of faucet handle (common with Delta/Peerless, usually 1-2 inches in diameter) that pops out by hooking under edge of metal or plastic insert with a fine screwdriver or sharp knife tip (help in by friction or spring steel fingers inside - probably about a pound or less force to pop out), and there is a center screw in the middle that you remove, then you usually pull the handle off the splined or flat-sided valve stem or shaft, though sometimes unscrews counterclockwise - meaning undoing it turns the water on, so you then (after handle is off) put the screw back in to turn the stem off. A few types, or if corroded on, you may need to tap the handle back and forth gently from the back alternately working from side to side to loosen it up. Center cap commonly looks like this, and most plumbing parts stores carry replacements if you break it -

2) decorative (usually dome-headed) exposed-head center screw with no cover, then continue as above.

3) small slotted or allen wrench (hex) set screw in the side of the handle which you loosen, then remove the handle per in 1)

4) rarely, a split end on the valve stem or shaft with or without a metal spline piece, so the handle is on with a wedged friction fit, and just pulls off (be careful not to drop metal spline down drain if there is one) - again may need a touch of tapping from behind

5) in any of the above, if corroded on spray backside (don't get into valve mechanism itself and wipe right off surface) of handle with WD40 and let sit. Some of the center screw ones get so tight you have to put the screw back in (backed off a turn or two) and put a puller on the handle to extract it, using the screw head (preferably an old scrap one because it can damage the head) as the center point for the puller.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy