Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/30/2018

what do I do if I am an unsatisfied customer

I paid to have steps replaced in front of my house. The job was sloppy and unprofessional. The contractor will not respond to my attempts to address the matter. What do I do if I am an unsatisfied customer?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


1) (keeping a copy and the mailing and delivery receipts), send a certified mail, return receipt, signature required letter setting out the deficiencies and the corrective action you want done under the contract, stipulating this is to be at no additonal cost to you. Give him say 7 days to arrange for the corrective work to be done, or that you will take action against his Bond and will fiel a complaint with the state contrctor licensing board.

2) assuming he was bonded, if he fails to come through thne contact his bonding company with a copy (NOT originals) of the letter and mailing and delivery confirmations, demanding that they arrange to have the deficient work brought up to code-compliant and workmanlike completion.

3) assuming for his type of work and size of job that he was supposed to be licensed, or is licensed, you can file a complaint with the state contractor licensing board, and in a very few states there are even funds to help people in your situation, paid for out of licensing fees. But in most states, while filing a complaint may help get his license suspended or revoked, it will generally not help you directly - but can put pressure on him to make it right to make the complaint go away.

4) if you got this contractor through a Deal or Coupon on Angies List, contact memberervices about what remedies you may have - especially if a full-price member, where you may be covered by their guarantee program.

5) after all is said and done, sounds like an appropriate Review on Angies List and maybe other sites like Yelp would be in order, too.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy