Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/20/2017

what do you call the left rear of a car

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Ralph ?

If part of the axle, etc you would call it the left rear wheel or axle or spring or whatever.

If you mean the left rear sheet metal (or plastic) body panel, typical running from the rearmost door frame to the rear of the car (rear corners and rear of car may or may not be a separate piece(s) of body panel, or quarter panel may wrap around the corner to form the corner and rear also) and vertically up to the rear hatch or trunk seam (or in SUV's and such sometimes to the roof), that is the left rear Quarter Panel - the panel which normally has gas tank fill tube and gas door in it if your car has side-mounted gas tank filler tube rather than under the trunk.

Basic parts of the body (some cars, especially ones with unibodies, may have panels that incorporate several of these in one seamless piece) - front or nose panel (commonly in several separate pieces), front grill, hood, front and rear quarter panels (left and right for each), door panels, front (and for 4-door cars rear also) left and right rocker panels (the narrow band of sheet metal that continues under each door), doorpost panel (vertical between front and rear doors), cab (any vertical panels above or behind the doors which also holds the windshield and is topped by the roof - like on pickups), roof, and trunk or rear hatch. There are also the bumpers of course, and commonly small panels covering the wiper motors, rear and sometimes front corner blocks or corner panels (which the external lights are mounted in - which may or may not be separate panels, or lights may be enclosed wrap-around of quarter panels), and many times hatch and door sill panels. Plus interior flooring and wall panels. Most of these panels also have interior panels inside them, forming a double-walled body, with insulation or soundproofing between the layers in parts of the car. There are also the wheelwells - the curved splash guards that curve up over the tires and are fastened to the frame and the quarter panels, forming the "well" or recess that the wheel sits in. Also on a few cars wheelwheel covers (like Cadillac and Lincol used in the 60's and 70's) which partially span the wheelwell to cover the top half of the wheels and wheelwells. Also commonly a half dozen to dozen or more subsidiary supporting or fill-in small panels - particularly at corners, under rear hatches or trunk, interior to car or engine compartment or trunk, etc.

Assuming you got in a collision, commonly the rear quarter panel damage is combined with wheelwell damage, and if it got the corner then corner panel (aka corner block) and maybe trunk/rear hatch and bumper as well. Further forward a hit might also damage rearmost door, rocker panel under the door, doorpost, and/or cab panels - and so on with more serious crash. And of course if the damage penetrated far enough, damage to driveline components, fuel tank, interior panels or seats, car frame, etc is possible.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy