Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/6/2013

what companies around Houma, LA to install culverts & water catch basins

I'm looking for a company for installation of culverts & water catch basins

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Contact your local municpal for advice and permits. Without this advice you could spend a lot of money or time in court. When in dought,check it out.

Answered 6 years ago by Gasman


As the first comment said, your first stop is permits - if you are in any way affecting drainages, as you undoubtedly are, you will need a water quality permit, and possibly also a wetlands permit - known as 401 and 404 permits after the federal statute sections they derive from. To get these yourself is like wrestling with The Hulk in a Black Hole - forget it - commonly your local drainage district, state's environmental quality, DOT and Fish and Game, and federal EPA and Corps of Engineers and US Fish and Wildlife Service are involved, at a minimum. Frequently there are as many as 20 agencies reviewing and signing off if both 401 and 404 permits are required, in which case an environmental assessment or even impact statement will normally be required as well.

Even if existing drainages are not affected, you will need a local water quality permit and land use permit, because you are creating drainages that concentrate existing sheet flow. It is almost guaranteed you will have to go the full federal permit route, because there is almost no point in Louisiana that is not considered a wetlands contributory runoff area.

You need a civil engineering firm specializing in land development. They can also help with construction cost estimate and with plans and specs, and the bidding process. Do NOT trut a contractor to get these type of permits - all but the biggest contractors have no idea how many types of permits and reviews are required for drainage modifications.

Going ahead without getting the permits can run from $5,000 to $100,000 PER DAY, PER VIOLATION - and each culvert or ditch can be considered a separate violation if they get nasty. DO NOT run this risk - get professional advice.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy