Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/17/2016

what should it cost to direct bond uncoated CSST gas piping in a 3000 sq foot house

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I did not even know uncoated CSST was legal inside a residence - learn something every day I guess. I know I would not trust it for in-house gas piping (except the short run from local shutoff to appliances mandated by code) - probably far more than half of all gas leaks I have seen were through (not at fittings) of corrugated metal gas pipe.

A clamp-on pipe fitting and grounding wire, and clamp-on or lug attachment to electrical ground should run about $30-50 in materials probably depending on how long a run he has to make to a good ground. This assumes the gas system is continuous CSST with no plastic pipe or fittings in between which would mandate a second or additional grounding connections.

This assumes exposed wire run too - much more to hide the grounding wire in a surface race, or much more labor to run through the walls plus additional drywall repair and painting costs by a difference contractor after the ground is run. Usually only a 10' or less run in most houses.

Labor typically a basic service call of probably $50-125 for Heating and A/C technician to do this - Electrical tech can also do it but more typically $100-175 for the labor.

Note, if you are watching them, it CANNOT be bonded/connected to the corrugated tubing - only to rigid metal fittings - and bonding to another appliance, water pipe in the house, or HVAC ducting is NOT proper grounding. Depending on code amendments in your area, needs to be grounded at the breaker panel or main shutoff panel, or to the outdoor electrical system ground rods.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy