Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/14/2016

what should it cost to raise the elevation of an electrical transformer

My electrical transformer is at an elevation that periodically floods and causes my power to be turned off in the transformer until the water receeds. I'm looking to have the transformer elevation raised and wandering what it may cost.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

Assuming you mean an on-grade transformer, not in a subterranean vault.

IF this is a private transformer - like some sub-panel transformers in condo complexes and such, then depending on the amount of slack wire there is in the housing and whether the local utility standard allows fiberglass elevating pedestals on top of the concrete pad (if has such) or not or if you need to get a new concrete pad under it, probably about $500-1000 range - to maybe $1500 in areas with ridiculous utility labor charges for disconnects/reconnects (commonly city-owned utilities using that as a revenue source). Simplest if they can just disconnect it, put a fiberglass pedestal under it bolted to the concrete, and reconnect using in-box slack in the wires.

If a normal transformer feeding to your meter base (and likely 2-4 other neighbors too) then that usually belongs to the utility, and they will do it for free given a couple of provisos:

1) that the overall elevation is not such that it is going to mean more than a foot or two elevation to avoid all but the most severe flooding

2) that simple gravel/crushed rock pad can go under it without needing retaining wall or such to hold it in place

3) that the flooding is not caused by landscaping or grade modifications during building or yard construction or excess roof runoff directed to it or such - has to be "natural" flooding

If they will not do for free, can run $250-4000 (commonly around or less than $1000) depending on how money grubbing the utility is (you can perhaps tell that I don't think much of the city-owned ones that set rates not based on cost but on how much the city wants to make off the utility), whether they have to splice the feed cables coming to it or the service lines going out, and how many lines there are (some trandsformers feed 4-6 buildings), and how much it needs to be elevated. Will rarely elevate more than about 2 feet - more they will probably require YOU get a retaining wall enclosure built and filled to form the pad, then they will relocate the transformer and lines to there.

I would check first with the utility to see if they will do it, and if so how much they want - will probably send out an engineer or crew foreman to look at it before quoting a price or saying yeah or nay.

OF course, if part of a condo or such talk to management first about any rerquirements they have - or they may want to take the lead on yours and some others too, because transformers should NOT be going under water other than in major (typically greater than 30 year or so) floods, because that is a terrible risk of electrocution if they do not get the power to it shut off in a timely fashion.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy