Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/2/2014

what is the cost to remove a brick & mortar fireplace & chimney & replace it with gas fireplace and metal chimney

single story, single family house built in1960, fireplace on the outside wall. Need to remove the brick fireplace and chimney for seismic reasons. Also need recommendations for contractors who do this job in San Francisco Bay Area.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I assume you had an engineer tell you it needed to come down - because in many cases a seismic retrofit is cheaper. Search the List under Services, looking for Earthquake Retrofit as the category. Especially if from 60's, at that time chimneys had to be reinforced for seismic so this would not be like an 1800's gold rush days house retrofit. Can sometimes be done with ties and drilled in rebar, with wrap-around reinforced resin wrap or reinforced concrete facade, or in some cases only the above-the-roof portion is tied back to the roof or is removed and replaced with metal chimney, then the rest tied to the existing house structure.

Assuming teardown - being from 60's the brick probably has little resale value. Teardown typically (assuming foundation is left in place) in the $2-4,000 range, plus probably $1000-2000 range to frame up the wall and floor and put on siding and paint it and install flooring where the fireplace/hearth was - which may be a match problem depending on siding type.

One thing to check out - many California communities give partial rebates or property tax or property transfer tax credits for seismic retrofits, some for chimney removals, some for both - so check, as that could affect your economics.

Assuming you want one contractor, you want a Remodeling - General contractor in Search The List - and one certified by your city for earthquake retrofitting.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy