Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/6/2014

what kind of insurance should handyman have?

if a handyman breaks something in the home while doing the job, what kind of insurance covers this?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers


any one who works for you in your home is your employee and then needs to be covered by workmans comp. If not , while working for you he or she gets hurt on the job then its your financial problem.


Answered 6 years ago by the new window man


Here is an AL article on that issue -

A clarification on the other answer - if someone works for you and is NOT a contractor offering their services to (and working for) other people, THEN he would be considered an employee of you individually, and you would be required to withhold and pay employment and income and workers comp and disability etc insurances and taxes.

If a contractor (the relationship you almost always want except sometimes with permanent household workers like housekeepers and butlers and cooks that work only for you), then they should be providing proof of insurance (workers comp and liability) and for many types of work (basically everything that would be a problem if stopped partway through job or done wrong) should have bonding also. That way you are not on the hook as an employer, and you are at least somewhat protected in the event they get injured or cause damage or injury while on your job.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


So , besides workers comp. your contractor should be able to provide you with liability and disability insurance too.

Answered 6 years ago by the new window man


Sorry - on my response I sort of got hung up on the "employee" issue, and did not pay proper attention to whether your original question was being answered.

If he breaks part of his bod (or an employees), that is where worker's compensation comes in. If he breaks something in the house - say a window or Tiffany light, say - usually he would cover that out of pocket to avoid a claim on his insurance, but otherwise - or if major damage like flooding or a fire he caused, then HIS liability insurance company would be who covers it. But give him a chance to cover it first - then if he does not do so promptly (besureto document the loss immediately), then send a letter to him and his insurance company with proof of damage.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy