Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/28/2014

what kind of kitchen air vent I should purchase and install?

I'm looking for a rangehood under cabinet, willing to spent up to 1thousand for a good kitchen air vent. however I do not want to spend the extra money on a bad prodcut that cost alot of money. I cook alot of chinese dishes, mainly Stir fry. I need a good vent that will get rid of all the grease to keep my open kitchen floor plan clean. anyone has any suggestion which type of vent I should look for?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

One with a remote fan motor, mounted on the wall or the roff will do the best, without being so noisey in the kitchen.


I don't think you can get one that will remove the grease spatter from stirfry, but a good one will remove more odors and heat. Spattering grease is to heavy to be pulled up and out the exhaust.


Answered 6 years ago by BayAreaAC


A normal economy range hood can run from 60 to maybe 200 cfm of airflow - cubic feet per minute, with mid-range units pulling about 200-500 cfm generally. This is minimal for creating a slight draft that will pull normal cooking water vapor up to the hood, but for heavy greasy cooking does little for that.

You need several things -

1) easily cleaned removeable filters, as they plug quickly in that environment so block the airflow, and also become a bacterial and fire hazard.

2) high airflow - more like 800-1200 cfm for a normal stove-width hood, which puts you in the $400-500 range for the hood itself, plus from $300-600 installation probably depending on your current duct size and ease of expanding it, and if wall or roof vent hood needs upsizing also. Will be on the cheaper side if located on outside wall so it can vent directly outside (though that can create staining on siding from the grease).

3) extended hood, which reaches further out over the stove to capture more rising air. Unfortunately, for a truly extended hood, unless you sacrifice the cabinet over the stove you would be hitting your head on the front edge of the hood all the time, so there are limitations on that. Looks something like this -

4) full-width air inlet and filter. Most hood extend full width of the stove (30 or 36 inch typically) but have only small inlet filters that quickly block off with grease. You need one with at least two large side inlets, if not full-coverage filter across the bottom.

5) To alleviate noise, you can go with an in-vent motor as the other commenter suggested, or put up with the fan noise when doing high-fume cooking and use a lower setting (on a variable speed unit) for normal cooking.

6) One other possibility to look into is adding a supplemental stove-back inlet hood to a central motor unit - so it pulls fumes/vapor directly to the back of the stove into an inlet, as well as under the cabinet - though for high airflow this will put you over $1000 in all likelihood. Looks like this (in first photo with boiling blue pot) - note this type of unit does NOT work well alone because too much vapor escapes to upwards, and it collects almost none of the fumes/vapor from front burners or center grill/griddle top. They also tend to crud up the back of the stove, so shoud not be used with back control panel stoves - only front-control ones, otherwise you risk fire hazard in the switches. Can be independent, outside vented or recirculated, and higher powered under-cabinet or over-stove units can sometimes be hooked into a passive (no independent fan) stove back collector.

7) Commonly available brands for high-airflow range hoods like this include Broun, Whirlpool, AirKing, AKDY, and ZKing - you can check their websites for more info and recommendations on high-fume cooking ventilation solutions.

8) I would recommend going to a couple of kitchen design centers that sell appliances also, and pick their minds for recommendations and look over their selection - both showroom floor and catalog. Whatever you want is out there - just a matter of figuring out what you desire, and getting recommendations on airflow. Do not forget easily cleaned dishwasher safe filters (though you have to preclean to avoid greasing up your dishwasher) - and I recommend getting an extra set up front, so your hood is not unprotected while your filters are in the sink soaking or in the dishwasher.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy