Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/25/2012

when installing a light fixture I accidentally cut the wire Too Short. Can I splice and attach more wiring and successfully install?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Yes you can but be carefull with aluminum house wiring. If you have this type of wiring then call your local inspector to find what wiring techniques are permitted.
NEC Article 314.16 (B)(1) discusses box fill.
"Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once"

"Each conductor that passes throught the box without splice or termination shall be counted once."

So NEC does not specifiy how many times the wire may be spliced.

Answered 8 years ago by Kestrel Electric


A good answer above but also bear in mind that any splice must be in a covered, accessible box. If you have to splice the wire outside of the box you'll have to do it in another box in the attic and then run the new pig tail into the light box. If it is between floors you'll have to have another box with an accessible cover in your ceiling. That's not very attractive so hopefully you can do the splice in the light box.

On a note about the previous reply about aluminum wiring: Be very wary if you do have aluminum wiring. It's a source for many house fires. Current code does not allow it's use inside of the home but older homes may have it before the code waas changed. You likely have copper for the small circuits so you shouldn't encounter it with this repair but if you do call an electrician. The splice will need dielectric paste and a special connector. It's not something for a homeowner to risk.

Todd Shell
Todd's Home Services

Answered 8 years ago by Todd's Home Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy