Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/9/2015

where can i get my jewelry insured

I have an expo engagement ring, I need to insure

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


There are independent insurance carriers for this, and some stores sell policies on jewelry they sell.

However, your cheapest and easiest solution is likely to be either a rider (like an addition or amendment) on your Homeowners or Renter's insurance - you just pay so much extra on your policy premium to add so much coverage. Typically flat rate for up to $1000-5000 of jewelry depending on carrier - ours is 2.5% of the rider coverage amount.

Another way, which is sometimes cheaper so ask, is a PAI Policy - Personal Articles Insurance. Is a separate policy, though normally only available in conjunction with an existing homeowqners or renter's policy from same company. Covers against fire, theft, loss like a rider on your homeowner's policy, but rate may be different - ours is actually lower with better coverage on items. PAI policies are not pushed by the insurance companies, but are VERY useful, because typically they do not carry a deductible - or a very small one like $100, as opposed to the rider on your homeowner's/renter's policy which will have the same deductible as the rest of your policy. They can also cover things like computers and such (though not small handheld devices), and also cover accidental breakage like from dropping it. Terrific for things like laptops (and jewelry) that you take out of the house frequently.

PS - will likely need purchase receipt for the insurance company to insure it - otherwise (or maybe in addition) they will want an appraisal from a certified jeweler.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy