Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/6/2013

which insurance pays for damages done to vehicle and garage door when door fails to stay up, home owners or auto insurance?

Automatic garage door opener failed to stay up while backing out the car.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


I'd call my homeowner's insurance agent first if he is not the same as for your auto. It depends on your coverage if it will cover the damages but they won't hit you as hard on the renewal following a claim as your auto insurance which seems to look for every reason to raise your rate. I'm not in the insurance business but just have some personal experience. I also learned that it's much easier to have one agent handle everything that several. I always call him first before filing a claim so I have a pretty good idea whether it is worth it to even file a claim.

Todd Shell

Todd's Home Services

San Antonio, TX

Answered 7 years ago by Todd's Home Services


Todd's answer could be right, that this was not a vehicle accident, it was a house accident damaging the car. However, if the car was moving when the door hit it, one could look at it as a collision with the door, and if it was not moving then you could look at it as something dropping on the car, hence coered by the comprehensive auto coverage.

Your collision auto insurance covers vehicle accidents (either moving vehicle, or not moving and hit by another vehicle), and the comprehensive covers against non-collision damage to your car - such as vandalism, hail, things being dropped on it (which might include a garage door), etc. - so it might be coverable under your auto comprehensive coverage if the car was not moving at the time.

If the car was moving when the door came down, then it could be considered a collision. If claimed as acollision, you might legally be required to file a vehicle accident report if it exceeds a certain $ amount !

If you have coverages with the same carrier for both policies, if your agent is nice he/she will advise you on which premium is likely to go up more after this claim, or you may have a "freebie" claim available on one policy or the other on what is probably a relatively small claim (I would guess $1000 or less unless a ritzy car).

If you claim against either policy, copnsider also what your deductible is on each policy - if you have a very low deductible on one it might be better to claim against that one, depending on how much it is going to ding your premium (I would guess 10% or less unless you have a history of frequent claims).

Good luck

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy