Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/7/2014

who do I contact to repair interior cracked subfloor

Interior subfloor is bulging up, subfloor may be cracking, who do contact for repair.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


If you can use the Answer This Question button right under your question to reply back and give us some more description, maybe we can help you more. Describe what is happening (attach photo if possible), what type of subfloor (pluwood, particle board, concreter backer board, concrete), if the "structural subfloor" has an overlay like a levelling compound or 1/4" particle board over it, what your flooring material is, what room this is in, if there is any underlying floor where you can see if there are cracking or sagging joists or cracking drywall ceiling, how long this floor has been down, etc.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


The bulge is in the entrance foyer, subfloor is concrete foundation, floor material is tile that has not cracked yet. Can not inspect to see if subfloor concrete is broken, but likely is since its bulging up. Floor has been in this condition for approx .1 1/2 months. Area has a hollow sound when its tapped on. It covers approx 6'x 6' area. Have my fingers crossed its overlay compound thats breaking down.

Answered 6 years ago by jazzlyte


Sounds like they may have put wood or particle board underlayment under it, or used a "floating" tile joke sorry, I meant system - and that is what is coming up, probably due to water tracked in or coming under door or doorframe. That would also make it soundhollow - if the subfloor is concrete slab, that would not sound hollow to normal tapping even if bulging up, so I suspect your poblem is above the concrete slab.

No use hypothesizing here - if bulging it needs to come up, which might or might not be easy, and you might actually get some or most of the tiles back out of the deal. Then you can look at whether it is a grout bonding, underlayment or whatever issue and decide where to go from there.

A good ceramic tile contractor is who you want, assuming you want tile there still - otherwise whatever type of flooring installer matches what flooring you want to put down.

Personally, I would tear it up myself, so then you can see what is going on and decide from there what is needed. Light tapping with a wide flat chisel at a very flat (horizontal) angle under the tile should pop it off if it is going to come without breaking. If you really love the tile, comes off with less breakage but a LOT slower if you use an oscillatory multi-purpose tool like this with a wide undercut blade, like this -

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy