Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/30/2014

who do we contact to get a wall ac unit replaced

We have an old ac unit built into the wall. It needs to be replaced. We were told we should have an ac sleeve made so we dont have to disrupt the wall every time. Dot know if we need to contact an ac person or a contractor or handyman person to get this done.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Dictated by Federal LAW , you will need a Licensed and EPA Certified HVAC Contractor

to make such repairs . In fact , by law , ONLY A licenesed HVAC contractor can buy or install

said eguipment , NOT A handyman nor general contractor !

YES , You should have an A.C. sleeve surrounding the through the wall unit . These sleeves will usually accompany NEW products , either as a package or an add on equipment purchase.

Contact a Licenesed PROFFESSIONAL at once !

Answered 5 years ago by BentheBuilder


Some HVAC contractors do sleeve installs, some sub them out to a General Contractor, because it involves cutting into the wall, maybe relocating electrical or plumbing if you are confined to a bad location, then installing the sleeve and properly tying it into the interior wall and siding, insulating the gaps, and properly waterproofing the interface - not the sort of things HVAC contractors usually do or do well. And if a large unit, requires a carpenter to put in a header over any studs that are cut out.

The actual install of the unit can actually be legally done by anyone, at least under federal law - the part that specifically requires the license is the charging with gas and the approval to start up. OF course, using anyone but an HVAC contractor to install one makes little sense, plus of course to keep the warranty you have to go that way except with a self-contained plug and go unit like a window air conditioner.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy