Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/5/2013

who fixes spiral balance tube on single hung window?

The spiral metal piece that holds the window open has fallen down in several of our windows. 1996 home, Houston Texas area. Single hung, metal frame windows. Who fixes this problem?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


A window installation company - same people you would go to for new windows, excluding box stores.

Check with the manufacturer on availabilityof replacements, and Lowes or Home Depot might have them too - they carry a pretty complete replacement parts inventory.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Spiral balances can be changed. You tilt the window down like you would for cleaning. Take the sash out of the track by raising one side up first. You unscrew the balance from the track at the top and then take it to a hardware supply to match up the size you need. metal windows are heavy and the balance can wear out quickly, if you can find a more heavy duty one that fits your size buy that. If I came out to see you I would suggest that twenty year old metal frame windows are not very energy efficient and you should consider replacements.


Answered 6 years ago by the new window man

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy