Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/30/2016

who are the good residential structural engineers in Honollulu HI

I have cracking in interior walls & suspect the house is settling. I'm told I need to have structural engineers asses the situation then another firm to fix it. Is that the way to go?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


In your area - my first suspicion would be termite damage or wood rot - you might be able to look around in basement/crawlspace and see if there is evidence of that or of failing structural members. Though soil instability in the residual tropical clayey soils and weathered bedrock is not at all uncommon on sloped areas in Hawaii either.

But yup - Structural or Geotechnical Engineer (depending on whether you think it is structure or foundation/soils issue) is your best source of an assessment like this - typically $300-500 for a site inspection and letter report, and for very simple cases like recommending replacement of certain features, remedy also. For more complex remedies or work needing a temporary support design or permanent remedial structure (retaining structure say) additional design and inspection costs, and geotechnical (soils and foundations and groundwater) issues commonly also have additional cost for soils sampling and testing to determine the existing soils conditions or tie down the cause of slope stability issues, for instance. Generally - VERY broadly, most structural issues $1000 or less takes care of the engineering, geotechnical can commonly run from that range all told up to a few thousands in cases where sinkholes or gross instability of the foundation or underlying soils is involved.

My recommendation - Structural Engineering is the Search the List category (AL does not have civil/geotechnical categories) but unless you have reason to definitely suspect the interior structure is the problem, go with a Architecture or Civil Engineering firm that has both structural and geotechnical engineers on staff.

Then after the cause and remedy has been worked up (including necessary engineering plans and/or specs for the work which will most likely be needed for a building permit, and also for the bidding and final selected contractors to bid and build to, you will need to select (engineer can frequently give recommendation on contractors) the right kind of contractor forthe repair - carpenter, general contractor, foundation repair, plumber (if due to rot from pipe leak), roofer or siding contractor (if due to roof or siding leaks causing rot), etc as applicable to your case. And of course mold/fungal and/or pest control contractor as necessary to stop/treat that type of damage so you don't get a repeat in short order.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy