Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/21/2017

who should you hire to repair dry rot on eaves

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Depends on which part at the eaves you mean, but here are some general guidelines which would be the normal Search the List category

1) roof sheathing - Roofer

2) roof framing (rafters/trusses) including rotten rafter tails and eave vent area - some roofers with structural roof construction capabilities, otherwise a General Contractor. And for repair of structural components should have a remedial design from a structural engineer for proper repair and for any temporary suport measures needed - I have seen cases where rotten rafters or roof trusses were being repaired and a partial roof collapse occurred because proper temporary support was not provided, so just letting a contractor jump in and start replacing framing is not really a good idea - especially if it isw being doen without totally stripping the roofing and sheathing off.

3) fascia board, and roof edge coping (for small/zero overhang roofs, typically flat roofs) - many Roofers, Carpenter, and Handyman if non-structural (just a 1x or 2x nailed over the ends of the rafter or joist tails, which actually does serve some structural purpose but can almost always be removed and replaced without affecting the structural stability of the roof during the repair as long as there is no significant snow load on the roof. They are basically there to hold the tails at the right spacing and prevent warping before the roof sheathing goes on, and then to give continuous support to the front edge of the roof sheathing - also something to fasten gutters to. And if a small or zero overhang roof, the roofing over and inward of the eaves should be inspected for water damage too - ditto to the roofing over an overhang with fascia/roof sheathing damage, commonly from ice damming for instance.

4) soffit covers (the horizontal architectural features which conceal the underside of the roof overhang and rafters/truss tails) - some roofers do this, some gutter installers, some carpenters, many handymen. These (at least as far as I have ever seen) are just slip-in or nailed-up covers of plywood or vinyl or metal - serve no structural function, and actually generally are not "good" for the house because they limit ventilation, just conceal what many people consider an ugly area of the house.

Note if soffit covers or fascia are rotted, after the damaged material is off the adjacent rafter tails/roof trusses/joists and underside of the roof sheathing should be inspected for rot, as should the upper section of the wall if the soffit covers were rotten.

Oh - and BTW - while there are instances where an in-place repair is called for, trying to "repair" significant amounts (as opposed to localized spots) of dry rot is generally a lost cause - almost always both cheaper and better results to just replace the damaged materials, especially with soffit covers and fascia and sheathing. There are some cases where detailed in-place repair of rafters or trusses pays off by avoiding tearing large sections of the roof off, but those are fairly rare - usually if the framing is water damaged (as opposed to insect damaged) the roofing and sheathing need replacement anyway, at least in that area.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is James in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated service providers to assist you with this, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy