Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/27/2013

who do i hire to have a stove top and wall oven removed?

i want to get a new gas range, but i need the old removed before it can be installed.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Many Appliance Repair Companies offer this type of service. A qualified handyman could do this for you as well. It's a good idea to use a new gas line when you install the new gas range.

-Bob Meadows/B&D Appliance Repair Service/Palmdale, CA

Answered 6 years ago by Bob Meadows


1) When Bob Meadows suggested getting your gas line replaced when you put in the new range, I am sure he meant just the flex tubing that goes from the range to the gas shutoff valve at the floor - about $20-40 depending on length needed, and should be no added installation cost. Sometimes comes with new range, sometimes not - ask salesman, or you might get him to throw one in for free as a deal-maker.

2) Normally, when you buy a new appliance, you get free or cheap install and haul-away of the old one. Granted, unless it is bracket-mounted the old wall mounted oven may not be removed by the installer, and ditto to the stovetop unless a drop-in, but never hurts to ask. Of course, if you are talking removing built-in units where the surrounds need to be removed to get the new range in, and maybe some wall work where the wall-mounted oven was, then you probably need a cabinet installer or finish carpenter to remove the unit, and trim out the cabinets as needed to fit your new appliance - which an appliance installer cannot do, and a handyman is generally not up to doing a fully professional job on. If you need cabinet mods and drywall repair and painting where the oven was, may even need a general contractor - though many cabinet companies would be willing to cut in a piece of drywall where the oven was and roughly joint compound the edges and then cover it with cabinet veneeer plywood or similar material, even if finish drywall patching and painting is out of their realm. Can save you a contractor or two by just rough patching the hole where the built-in wall oven was, and then covering it with a finish material such as veneer plywood or laminate.

You might still get the old units hauled away for free by the installers from the store you buy the unit from, even if not exactly the same type as the new range. Oherwise cabient guy or carpenter will probably do so for an extra $50 or so. Just make sure up front who is doing what, and definitely the dimensions so you don't get a mismatch on width or depth.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy