Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/12/2017

who repairs twisted floor supports

the 2 X12 floor support is twisted who can repair it and certify their work

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Should look at WHY this is twisting - evidently was either very green when it was put in, loss of end support from rot or insect damage or such, lack of proper end restraint (rim joist blocking), or more likely is not properly fastened with the floor sheathing or at the ends. If you mean just a 15-20 degree twist or so over its length then may have been green wood with a high tendency to twist naturally - if you mean more like a 30-45 degree twist (or more) that is pretty serious.

Depending on how major a floor support this is (i.e. just normal floor joist or supporting load-bearing walls say) it mightj or might not justify a Structural Engineer to look at it and come up with not only the cause but also a remedial design.

The actual work wouldnormally be done by a Carpenter - Framing if a simple replacement of just a floor joist - more commonly a General Contractor if a significant structural framing member.

The fix - depends on how much it is twisted and wht the inferred cause is. IF just a minor (say 20 degree or less twist over its length) twist, it is pretty simple (if it doesnot break up in the process) to cut it free of the flooring, twist it back into shape, put in cleats (typically 2x4 or maybe 2x6 flat up under the subfloor for this case) or jam-studs (horizontal 2x4's between it and the adjacent joists and glued and screwed into the subfloor as well) to hold it in place, and fasten the subfloor back down to both it and the cleats. Though a lot easier done with a 2x8 than a 2x12 - that wide a board tends to crack down the middle pretty easy, so if I was twisting it back into shape I would laminate a plywood covering on both sides first. More severe twists commonly mean replacing the member - meaning temporary suppoert for the subfloor above it before it is removed and until the new member is in place.

One thing on the 2x12 - common practice (used to be required for ALL floor joists over something like 8 feet) is to use X-bracing between any floor joists over 8 inches deep, because they tend to do this sort of warping - looks like this -

If the tops of your joists are flush to the subfloor and it is the bottom that is tilting out, just wedging in pieces of 2x6 on edge at the bottom edge at about 3-4 intervals to force the timber back into alignment, then installing the cross-bracing might take care of it.

As for "certifying" their work - you could demand a warranty of reasonable term (typically 1 year) on the repair, or have the structural inspect the work as they are finishing it off. The latter would probably be your best protection.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy