Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/26/2016

wood framing porch ratio labor versus materials in tucson az.

I need to build a porch extension of about 550 sq. ft. on top of an existing slab. Post pads (concrete) will be outside the slab. All rough cut lumber. This is in Tucson, Az.
It is for family, but I want to charge a fair price for the labor which will be cheaper for them than a contractor and so they don't hire a stranger and maybe get screwed or get shoddy work. Ive been in construction for 40+ years and do know how to do a nice job.
The materials will cost right at $3400.00 dollars.
Is there a ratio to use?

Thanks for any good advice.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I don't understand - if you have been in construction for 40+ years, you should know how long this should take in man-hours ? Or are you saying you are not a carpenter or GC and have other unrelated construction experience - in which case got friends in the business who do this type of work and could give you input ?

Note - if not your trade, building a deck for someone especially if charging them for it, is probably illegal, because you are unlicensed for that type work.

VERY rough ballpark - assuming normal post-and-beam on concreete pads or blocks deck construction, roughly 50% materials, 50% labor for timber decks - more like 2/3 to 3/4 materials and the rest labor with Trex and similar synthetic deck materials. Or ballpark $10/SF or so for labor.

Hopefully you are checking building code and planning and zoning requirements in your area - and note if in a building permit area without appropriate contractor's license and structural engineer prepared plans this is not likely to get a permit - or not pass final inspection if built by an unlicensed contractor.

And note - if connected to house rather than independently supported, post-on-pad or on-block is not to code if in an area with any frost penetration - in those areas has to be either not structurally connected to the house (except for certain flexible connection for sway bracing) or built on piers to required depth or your area (commonly frost penetration depth plus 1 foot).

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy